Posted on December 06 2019
Scaling a business is a hot topic -
However, it's a thing most entrepreneurs get wrong.
If you're a small business owner that wants to scale your business (or wants to save time and money) then you can't afford to miss this.
Also, we've discovered the leading trend of 2020 that allows every small business to create more productivity, efficiency and operate 100% better than their competitors.
This video shows you how to scale a business in a brand new way. Hint: It's called a Systematical People First Business...
And it's how we got to 500k in one and a half years...
I share practical strategies to handle problems in your business today + personal stories of the crazy up and down ride I've had to date. (Like the time I just about went bankrupt)
Enjoy the video here:
Note: why is this video not a 10 minute video? because it can shortcut your business results and save you over $100,000 in the process.
4:00: Picking trends
6:45: Acquiring a 100 million dollar mentor
9:30: Why your failing and getting ripped off
10:42: The two things to scale a business
11:30: Traditional businesses are built like this
12:38: The biggest trend in 2020
13:35: Baro goes to 15 million in a year and half (from building this type of business)
14:36: How amazon scaled (from building this type of business)
15:40: Kelsey Ramsden Forbes 45 million dollar woman
16:48: What caused us to fail
21:32: Kevin O'Leary from the Shark Tank does this
22:50: Why your business is a commodity and how to turn it into a unique business
25:01: How to beat the competition no matter how small you are
25:30: How to become the best operator of your business
26:59: The Secrets of 100 million dollar companies
29:17: Advice I received from a 4 billion-dollar CEO
30:40: How to put your business on steroids
34:38: Getting your business to 80 to 90% more profit
35:21: Why thinking like a marketer is screwing up your business
36:57: The fastest way to stand out in a crowded market
38:03: How can Magic Castle be one of the top rated hotels in L.A.?
39:52: 80% of business owners think they give a good customer experience and only 8% of customer think they do (what to do about it)
40:44: Why Zappos sold for a billion dollars
41:40: Don't be this type of business owner or you will fail
42:08: This mistake will ruin your business (we did it)
44:38 How we cut our marketing spend down by 60% and crushed our competitors
47:29: Why customer experience and employee experience is a hidden opportunity
48:30: How we turned a $25 gift certificate into $20,000
51:14: The only way to gain the competitive advantage
51:34: Why people first leadership is modern day leadership and your key to bigger business growth (most leadership stuff is outdated)
53:21: The 3 most important area's to build as a people first modern day business leader
55:58: The best new skill set to learn or hire on is social engagement (60% of sales will happen here)
58:05: The Systematical People First Training System
Learn More About Shane Jeremy James
We’ve all heard the “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” type of stories and think they are pretty farfetched. However, for me, that was in fact, my story. To say I was not the most well-behaved child is not an understatement. As a result, at a young age I was stealing ice cream sandwiches from a local store and re-selling them to other kids. All to try and earn the proverbial dollar. And where most store owners would be livid, this one saw something in me and I owe much of my success to him. In me he saw the spark of an entrepreneurial spirit and instead of demanding retribution he supported the spark he saw. Taking me under his wing, my training began at a young age as he taught me to buy the ice cream in bulk from him and re-sell it with a profit.
From their I started buying bulk boxes of hockey cards and reselling them. Being from Canada, hockey cards were a hot commodity amongst the kids and every kid on the street had a collection and was on the lookout for that one favourite card! If I happened to have someone’s prized card, I could make triple what I sold one card for!
By the time I hit 17 years old, I was going house to house door knocking asking people if I could mow their lawn as a means of income. I just wanted extra money and didn’t even realize that what I was doing was business. But I certainly had an interest in it! Whereas most of my friends were asking for CD’s or games for their birthdays and Christmases, I was asking for subscriptions to entrepreneurial magazines. And, for the next 20 years, that was what my family gave me as presents. To this day, I still have all the copies.
That’s the level of impact they had on me. At 23, I was going to business college in the day, and running night clubs by night. A friend of mine owned three nightclubs and so we formed a partnership together. The deal was that if I could increase the number of customers and increase business, he would give me ( I would earn) a percentage of the profits. So I formulated my plan. I went to a local modelling agency and hired 30 girls to come in every Thursday. And then I gave them free booze as a perk. Within 30 days, word spread around town that all the beautiful girls were hanging out at our club. With this plan, I was able to drastically increase the number of customers. We went from having roughly 30 people in the club on a given Thursday to having 100-300 which continued to increase until we had over 700 a night and people lining up around the block just to get in. This spilled over to the rest of the weekend and in the end we ended up with the busiest club in town for a 3 year run. Needless to say, my one small plan was a booming success!
From there I happened upon a little franchise out of the US called Curves for Women and brought it up into Canada, creating a million dollar business. The franchise increased to a 4 billion dollar franchise in the next 10 years. Comparably, it took McDonalds and Subway 25 years to achieve the same result. I had a 12 year run with that before selling the franchise to our manager.
I continued on in the fitness industry and started a personal training business and had 7 trainers working for me, wrote 4 books and created a series of courses in the health and fitness market. Continuing on in this field, I brought a healthy energy drink into Canada (from the US), before energy drinks were even a thing.
However, I didn’t stop there. Always on the lookout for the next big thing, I noticed there was a gap in the digital media space and realized that it was going to be the next big thing as companies started to close their distance and increased their visibility through the internet. This was before most businesses had their pulse on the digital market and were just starting to try and wrap their brain around it. So I created a small digital agency and hit that market running. Through this venture, I helped launch the Eckhart Tolle movie and ran the social media and backend. I continued on and ended up with the opportunity to travel and work with Kevin Harrington, an original on the TV show Shark Tank and inventor of the infomercial. I helped to run many of their different companies, including Kevin's personal brand, consulted in the business and gained shares in some of their companies.
I helped consult and train different leaders in the network marketing industry on how to build leaders and create more structure in their businesses. In addition, I have worked with many varied small businesses in a number of crucial areas, highlighting and meeting the needs they have so they can flourish.
I've spent more than 20 years study many of these world class leaders and now I am honored to speak, teach and create world change with these world changers.
Despite all of this, I had one driving desire that I was not able to quell. I wanted to make the world better. I wanted to cause a change, a shift in how business was done. I wanted to set a higher standard. And so I started the “Actions of Compassion” movement along with an eco friendly clothing line. With “Actions of Compassion” I have travelled across North America, filming over 65 compassion shows and out of that, was birthed the ‘Live Your T-Shirt’ idea. This was a method developed to help businesses. But how does compassion and business work together? My goal with "Live Your T-Shirt’ was to create awareness on any number of touch points. First, compassion for the environment. Being eco-friendly, the t-shirts consider and have compassion on the environment. Second, for those less fortunate. The t-shirts inspire others to take a stand and act in ways that show compassion on those less fortunate than ourselves.
Through the ‘Live Your T-Shirt’ concept we put people before profit. In doing so we lead with compassion, empathy and care for another. Building a people first business is what will change the world and unite us together! From a very small beginning, I was fortunate to reach high altitudes. Working with so many businesses, being honoured to have worked with Kevin Harrington and learn from him, I noticed that many small business owners simply did not understand how to put in place the most important aspects of a business. THAT is why I developed the ‘Live Your T-Shirt’....a systematical, people-first business training.
But when you get right down to the underlying workings of it, it is really quite simple. The truth is...most people do not know or understand how to build business in this new social media driven world we live in. This is evident through any conversation that you would have with a business owner. Ask them how to build business and the answers are all the same....’my facebook presence, my blog, the sales funnel, digital marketing!
This is how to build business! Don’t get me wrong, these are important and key components, but they do not work in and of themselves. And, they don’t build a sustainable business that you can turn around and sell at a profit. But because there is so much ‘hype’ surrounding these ideas, that business owners forget that first, they need a strong and solid foundation built on systems and protocols.
THEN, they can delve into some of these topics. The end result is that they spend their hard earned profit in tiny areas that won’t increase business or create something sustainable. All without truly understanding how to establish that solid foundation.
All of this leads to my ‘why.’ The reasoning behind this type of training. The future of business is relationships. Build a business with a people-first mentality that is supported with a process and systems. If we can teach people HOW to do this, we will make the world a better place. Remember, our company is called Actions of Compassion and through this training, we believe we are living our mandate.
Having compassion for business owners, large or small, that don’t understand the action steps, we come in and support them with the training so they in turn can build a solid business and pay it forward! Compassion for another....people first!
If this sounds like something you want to achieve with your business, then you are at the right place as this is a system that will set the stage to take your business to the next level while you master the most important skills....all while focussing on people first!!
Check out the training system...
Building a Systematic People First Business
Building a lasting company by shifting your focus from profits to people is key. The most human centered company will win. Building systems and process that will improve the livelihoods of customers, employees and business relationships will be your competitive advantage in the marketplace.
We act on this philosophy daily.
It’s about building a company that everyone admires. Massive profit will be your end result. But your focus must be different. When building a systematic people first business you are investing in long term relationships. Business is about emotions and relationships and yet very few businesses are built on this premise.
It’s crucial to Implement systems and processes that allow you to build a brand that lasts for decades. You are building something completely different from all your competitors. Most business leaders do not realize they are not working toward longevity. However, building this type of business secures your livelihood.
Should you have competitors that use a systematic people-first process they will quickly surpass you. Case study after case study have revealed this to be the future of building business.
Perception In The Marketplace
A business grows from perception in the marketplace and the reputation the business holds. Using the systems we provide, will give you a 100% higher perceived value in the marketplace. In order to succeed in business and differentiate yourself form competitors, you do not have to be 1000% better at one thing, you have to be 1% better at 1000 things!
The majority of businesses fail to be visible because they do not engage in operations that will differentiate their brands. They simply do what everyone else does, content with scraping by and ignoring the scary proposition of taking a risk.
One of the main areas of focus of our system is to ensure that you stand out and are seen! It sets you up to have 100% differentiation in the market place for your business. This process will enable you to become one of the most admired and trusted brands in your industry which in turn will set you apart as one of the most admired leaders and CEO in all businesses and industries.
Building Systems, Measuring and Numbers
We focus on high end systems that matter the most. If you use a systematic approach, you will receive a constant stream of information highlighting areas that need to be improved and you will begin to understand and forecast the unmet needs of customers. A business system is designed to give you effective, efficient and repeatable results. In short, the business system gives you a protocol to fix your processes. A business that is built on systems allows you to scale. Creating measurable numbers that allow for exponential growth. No matter what stage of business you are at, or what you want to do to get better, creating quality systems and processes is the only solution. There is no other way.
Business systems turn your business into a money making machine because they enable you to leverage your time, your effort, your knowledge and your money. Effective business systems pay for themselves over and over again. Turn your entire business into a self-running machine that provides consistent results day after day, even when you’re not around. Let someone manage the business, franchise it or sell it for top dollar. The true value and selling potential of your company is found in the maturity of its systems and processes – their ability to consistently produce desired results.
Understanding How your Business Must Operate
Trying to build a business and lead an organization without measuring is crazy. Measurement is the gap between where we think we are and where we need to be. Every important thing must be measured. You will receive complete tracking systems.
- Looking at your projections each month
- Understanding the numbers
- Measuring customer happiness
- Measuring employee happiness (we created a 90 red flag system)
- lifetime customer value
- churn rate (retention)
- sales numbers
- profit and loss
- marketing expenses
- pipeline numbers (potential new customers)
- profit per customer
- customer acquisition costs
- gross profit margin
- customer service satisfaction; all of these need to be proactively and consistently measured
Without accountability and without consistently measuring your business you will never create sustainable growth. You will never create viability. We have built the systems for you that will allow you to obtain sustainable growth, save time, save money and help your business run much more efficiently. Effective systems create momentum. Systems help you make the best possible decisions. Systems put the odds in your favour over your competitors. Motivation comes and go, systems stay.
Building a People First Culture
The way you build the biggest company is to build the best culture. 95% of business owners fail to take the time to build their culture, only to come to the painful realization that culture is their competitive advantage and has a massive impact on the profit and growth of the business.
In order to flourish these are steps that are non-negotiable:
- Building a people-first culture
- How to not create another cookie-cutter culture and create your own sustainable one
- Discovering your purpose and core values
- How to implement a people-first culture
- How to commit and drive your company cores values through your entire organization
- Use our unique system and tactical people-first culture mindset shifts that will allow you to build a brand that last for decades
- Create a culture playbook
- Getting a people-first mindset right
- A unique system to build and maintain relationships (40% more sales can happen from this)
Even if you have a great culture you need to keep improving it. Even if you’re a one-person business you need to build a culture. Building the right values and principles (this creates a very dangerous company to compete with).
The People First Customer Experience Method
80% of companies believe they deliver superior experiences, only 8% of customer agree (do the math on that!).
In order to ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction, you must follow our unique system:
- Build trust into every customer touch point along the journey
- Take a customer from customer service to customer experience
- Customer experience management: The way you engage with a customer is a talent and one of the most important skill sets you must understand
- Create a unique customer experience: The businesses of the future and the ones that will dominate their competitors are memory makers (Follow our memory making system)
- Majority of small business have not connected the employee experience with the customer experience (This is a real hidden niche to add value)
- Customer life-time value: Tools to value loyalty. When a customer become an advocate for your business, they become an extension of your sales and marketing
- Building the people-first marketing process. (2/3rds of your sales will come from this)
- Mapping the customer journey
- The category of customers: a system that takes care of the different level of customer such as VIP, first time buyer, 60 days with us and so on
- Retention: A system to keep customer loyalty sky high
- Measuring customer’s happiness
- Procedures for customer compliments
- Procedures for great customer service
- Procedures to proactively mitigate and manage potential customer concerns/complaints
Maintain, Obtain Referrals, Up-Selling, Innovative Development
A system to maintain the customer relationship and develop it (without this you’re not going to scale).
Referral system: 70 different referral processes. A business should have at least 4 to 8 that work constantly around the clock to maximize growth in the business.
Up-sell: A variety of different ways to make more money off the existing customers.
Innovative development: innovate ways to create more revenue and growth.
People First Business Development:
- Finding and getting into new markets where your customers are at
- How to prioritize and allocate resources to find customers
- Relationship systems to keep building your pipeline with new clients
- Different ways to prospect
- Relationship management systems
- 25 ways to master the art of networking
- Turn strangers into friends who WANT to do business with you
- Hiring the perfect person for biz dev or you develop this skill set (doing this properly can build a business very fast)
The People First Selling System
- Setting up the pay structure for sales teams
- How to recognize, encourage, praise and reward sales people
- Breaking down the objections
- A system to incentivize your team to bring in more clients
- Measuring your sales process daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually
- An accountability system to track sales
- A follow up system
- How to self promote yourself in an ethical way
- How to sell using compassion, empathy and vulnerability
- Training on closing: the ability to close is the number one skill to grow a business
- How to quickly become a top sales person
- Sales scripts that work for every industry
- Who to trust and not to trust in business
- How to negotiate by putting people first
- Understanding who has the leverage
- The different negotiation strategies (we created these techniques)
- The fastest way to get to yes and keep both parties happy
- How to negotiate services like digital marketing and social media
- Who are the people worth developing
- What to look for in potential leadership development
- The process to developing and training leaders
- How not to lose great leaders
- How to recruit them and develop them
- Developing the right values and principles
- How to develop your moral values into a leadership style that inspires anyone
- How to build the right people first team
- Develop the 21st century leadership style (modern day leaderhsip)
- Use the footprints of a Mandela and Ghandi to lead your business to millions
- Inspire any individual to become part of your solution
- How to recruit the right talent and keep them around
- Emotional onboarding: making employee’s happy
- Building strategic initiatives to increase employee engagement
- Different employee pay structures
- Employee appreciation processes that creates deep loyalty
- A system to keep employee loyalty sky-high
- Measuring employee happiness
- How to give constructive feedback
- What to delegate and what not to delegate
- Social engagement (how to build relationships quickly)
- Conversations (how to earn deep level trust)
- Understand messengers and how to use this to grow your business
- Understand chat bots and how to keep it human centric
- Use text messages to generate much more business
- People-first community engagement (running your community)